What has motivated the social unrest that has now spread to hundreds of cities around the United States? Following up on our June 1 webcast on the protests sparked by the death of George Floyd, in this episode of New Ideal Live, Harry Binswanger, Yaron Brook, Onkar Ghate, Greg Salmieri and Peter Schwartz discuss what motivates the leaders and followers of the Black Lives Matter movement, and distinguish between the valid and invalid concerns animating them.
Topics covered include:
- Signs that the leaders of the movement are not concerned with evidence of police racism
- The extent to which, and in what forms, racism is a cultural force today
- How to communicate with those who are genuinely concerned with racism and police overreach
- Whether or not addressing these genuine concerns involves granting a moral sanction to the dishonest motives of movement leaders
- How to offer positive alternatives to those who are genuinely concerned with justice
This podcast was recorded on June 10, 2020. Watch or listen to the discussion below. Listen and subscribe from your mobile device on: Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify or Stitcher. Watch archived web episodes here.