In this episode of New Ideal Live, Aaron Smith and Onkar Ghate discuss the charge against Classics of perpetuating white supremacy, and the effort to reform or eliminate this academic discipline.
Topics discussed include:
- The charges of racism and sexism that have been leveled against Classics;
- The inadequacy of the evidence offered for these charges;
- The impact of these charges on academics;
- Why the push for representation based on race is racist;
- What is and what isn’t valid about appreciating Western civilization;
- Whether unconscious “systemic” bias affects who is attracted to various academic fields;
- What racism really means.
Mentioned in the discussion were Ayn Rand’s essays “Racism” and “Global Balkanization.”
This podcast was recorded on March 10, 2021. Listen to the discussion below. Listen and subscribe from your mobile device on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify or Stitcher. Watch archived podcasts here.