In this episode of New Ideal Live, Ziemowit Gowin is joined by Scott McDonald to discuss the latest events in the ongoing dispute between China and Taiwan.
Among the topics covered:
- What Secretary of State Blinken’s recent visit to Beijing signals about U.S. policy toward China;
- Why Taiwan matters to the Chinese Communist Party;
- How the war in Ukraine is shaping hostilities between China and Taiwan;
- Why China’s attempt to assimilate Taiwan will probably fail;
- How classical Chinese philosophy informs Chinese foreign policy;
- Whether China is an enemy of the U.S.;
- How America’s interests in Taiwan can be served by taking action to prevent a Chinese invasion;
- How U.S. policy on China has been reactive and unprincipled.
Relevant to the discussion is our previous New Ideal Live episode with Mr. McDonald,“What Does Xi Jinping’s China Want?”
This episode was recorded on August 11, 2023. Listen to the discussion below. Listen and subscribe from your mobile device on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify or Stitcher. Watch archived podcasts here.