In this episode of New Ideal Live, Ben Bayer and Sam Weaver discuss Ron DeSantis’ push to ideologically transform Florida colleges, and evaluate its potential to bring about greater freedom in the realm of education. While some of DeSantis’ actions should be evaluated as positive, there are ominous signs that they could also entrench further state control of education.
Among the topics covered:
- The toxic monoculture in American higher education;
- The need for a separation of education and state;
- Using the “Fairness Doctrine” to reverse state control in education;
- Aspects of DeSantis’ proposal that could help introduce ideological diversity;
- How DeSantis’ proposals could entrench a different kind of ideological monoculture;
- What arguing for freedom in education requires.
Mentioned in this podcast and relevant to the discussion is Ayn Rand’s essay “Fairness Doctrine for Education” in Philosophy: Who Needs It.
The podcast was recorded on February 17, 2023. Listen to the discussion below. Listen and subscribe from your mobile device on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify or Stitcher. Watch archived podcasts here.