Unless you happened to be watching NBC-TV late on the night of December 13, 1967, you haven’t heard Ayn Rand’s third appearance on The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson. Likewise with her second appearance from October 26 of that year — it hasn’t been publicly heard in decades.
ARI will be hosting a watch party for all three of Rand’s 1967 Carson show appearances (lasting about an hour in total), including video of her first appearance on August 11, which has circulated in pirated form on the web for some time. ARI has obtained permission from Carson Entertainment Group, the copyright holder, to host all three appearances on ARI’s YouTube channel.
Join us on June 7, 2022, at 2 p.m. Eastern time, for this free event. In a special countdown pre-show, Elan Journo and I will discuss Rand’s place in 1960s popular culture, the popularity of The Tonight Show and Johnny Carson, Rand’s ground rules for appearing, and the strong audience response.
- Find out what values Rand thought most important for happiness;
- Learn how the message of “The Impossible Dream” from Man of La Mancha relates to Rand’s philosophy;
- Hear what she thought of then-current writers such as Edward Albee, Mickey Spillane, and Ian Fleming;
- Consider her controversial opinions on the Vietnam War, the United Nations, the military draft, and the pope’s recent encyclical on capitalism;
- Listen to her views on the importance of family and the phenomenon of unearned guilt in young people.
After the party, the interviews will remain on YouTube for you to enjoy for years to come.
To attend, you’ll need to register at no charge using this link. Hope to see you there!