In this episode of New Ideal Live, Onkar Ghate and Aaron Smith discuss the idea that our complex, division of labor society precludes real independence, and they examine what is wrong with thinking of ourselves as “interdependent.”
Among the topics covered:
- Why Ayn Rand unequivocally rejected the idea that we are all interdependent;
- How globalism makes us interconnected, while only government force can outlaw our ability to function as independent individuals;
- How the false metaphysics of collectivism is used to push the idea that we are all interdependent;
- How religion and mysticism undermine our independence;
- The senses in which man is and is not a social animal;
- The meaning of the idea that man is an end in himself;
- The difference between accepting help and being dependent;
- How attacks on independence tear down individual achievements and excuse failures.
Mentioned in this podcast and relevant to the discussion are Ayn Rand’s novels Atlas Shrugged, The Fountainhead, and Anthem, her letter to DeWitt Emory, and Harry Binswanger’s webinar “How Can One Be Fully Independent in Today’s Society?”
The podcast was recorded on September 20, 2023. Listen to the discussion below. Listen and subscribe from your mobile device on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify or Stitcher. Watch archived podcasts here.