In this episode of New Ideal Live, Onkar Ghate, Mike Mazza and Nikos Sotirakopoulos discuss philosophy professor Peter Boghossian’s resignation from Portland State University, prompted by a backlash from students and faculty to his controversial positions.
Among the topics covered:
- Boghossian’s experience at Portland State University as a sign of the increasing tribalism at universities;
- Whether “grievance studies” is the cause of the increasing hooliganism on college campuses;
- The attitude toward truth and facts on college campuses today;
- How leftist ideology took over campuses;
- The upcoming Objectivist Academic Center course about the ideas from critical theory that facilitated the rise of the left;
- How alternative educational institutions can help combat irrational ideologies in academia;
- The Ayn Rand University as a powerful alternative educational institution;
- Cynical Theories by Helen Pluckrose and James Lindsay;
- The impact of postmodernism in academia today;
- How skepticism undermines the ideas of otherwise good thinkers.
You can sign up to audit courses at the Objectivist Academic Center here.
This podcast was recorded on September 29, 2021. Listen to the discussion below. Listen and subscribe from your mobile device on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify or Stitcher. Watch archived podcasts here.