In this episode of New Ideal Live, Nikos Sotirakopoulos, Elan Journo and Tristan de Liège discuss the phenomenon known as “hustle culture,” an attitude toward work that promotes relentless pursuit of career goals, and which critics say causes people to abandon their personal lives and experience burnout.
Among the topics covered:
- The meaning of the new term “hustle culture”;
- Ayn Rand’s view of work versus the conventional view;
- Positive and negative aspects of “hustle culture” according to its defenders;
- The relation between challenging work and personal values;
- How to approach work when one’s job is unfulfilling;
- The need to think of one’s needs and values from a causal perspective and across one’s whole life;
- How to think about work in relation to one’s other values;
- Evaluating the advocates and critics of “hustle culture.”
Mentioned in this podcast are Rand’s novels The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged.
The podcast was recorded on September 15, 2022. Listen to the discussion below. Listen and subscribe from your mobile device on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify or Stitcher. Watch archived podcasts here.