In this episode of New Ideal Live, on the sixth anniversary of the murderous attacks on the Charlie Hebdo newspaper in Paris, Elan Journo and Onkar Ghate discuss the attacks as a symptom of the erosion of free speech in the West.
Among the topics covered:
- The history of Islamist attacks on free speech;
- The ineffective public reaction to the Hebdo attacks;
- Why free speech — and intellectual freedom more generally — is so important to defend;
- The West’s failure to take a principled stand in defense of free speech;
- Why it’s important to criticize religion;
- How unopposed threats to free speech engender self-censorship.
This podcast was recorded on January 6, 2021. Watch or listen to the discussion below. Listen and subscribe from your mobile device on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify or Stitcher. Watch archived podcasts here.