In this episode of New Ideal Live, Elan Journo and Ben Bayer discuss the Republican Party’s brazen attacks on free markets.
Among the topics covered:
- Why conservatives once appeared to be defenders of economic freedom;
- How conservatives betrayed economic freedom in the twentieth century;
- Why it’s important to criticize Republicans as well as Democrats;
- Unjust government vaccine mandates vs. vaccines as conditions of voluntary employment;
- Why Republican state bans on business vaccine requirements and passports violate freedom of association;
- How the Florida social media “censorship” ban violates economic and intellectual freedom;
- How the Texas social media “censorship” ban violates economic and intellectual freedom;
- How we can tell there is a broader Republican push against economic freedom;
- Why government pressure on private companies is not a justification for regulating the companies;
- Why ARI speaks up in defense of the freedom of social media companies.
Mentioned in the discussion are Ayn Rand’s essay “Conservatism: An Obituary,” Elan Journo’s essay “What Was Ayn Rand’s View of ‘Conservatism’?,” Ben Bayer’s essay “Ominous Threats to the Marketplace of Ideas” and his article “Facebook: Censor or Victim?.” Also mentioned is an episode of New Ideal Live titled “Vaccine False Alternatives: Bribes vs. Mandates.”
This podcast was recorded on October 13, 2021. Listen to the discussion below. Listen and subscribe from your mobile device on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify or Stitcher. Watch archived podcasts here.