In this episode of New Ideal Live, Ben Bayer and Mike Mazza are joined by software engineer Chad Mills to discuss recent developments in AI and the ethics of AI development.
Among the topics covered:
- What artificial intelligence is, vs. the way AI is perceived by the public;
- The most impressive uses of AI technology that bring value to human life;
- How AI is rapidly heading towards greater user accessibility;
- How “artificial intelligence” differs from human intelligence;
- The real problems facing AI development today, vs. the doomsday scenarios;
- The ways we can protect ourselves against malicious people and states aiming to use AI for destructive purposes;
- Why the difference in kind between AI and human conceptual understanding makes an artificial intelligence “singularity” unlikely;
- The irrationality of the recent push to pause AI development and how it will hold back human progress;
- Why arbitrary fears about AI doomsday scenarios belong to science-fiction and are philosophically invalid.
This episode was recorded on May 8, 2023. Listen to the discussion below. Listen and subscribe from your mobile device on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify or Stitcher. Watch archived podcasts here.