In this episode of New Ideal Live, Elan Journo and Onkar Ghate discuss the philosophy behind the “left,” and Ayn Rand’s critique of it.
Among the topics covered:
- The philosophical roots of the “left” as a political phenomenon;
- Why Ayn Rand thought the ideas behind socialism, communism and fascism are evil;
- Why Rand thought that these nominally secular ideas were still forms of mysticism;
- Why Rand thought that conservative politicians of her time failed to oppose the left on principle;
- How Rand differentiated the “New Left” from the old;
- Environmentalism, racism and tribalism as outgrowths of “New Left” ideas.
Mentioned in the discussion were Ayn Rand’s talks “The Anti-Industrial Revolution” and “Apollo and Dionysus,” and her book Return of the Primitive This podcast was recorded on December 16, 2020. Watch or listen to the discussion below. Listen and subscribe from your mobile device on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify or Stitcher. Watch archived podcasts here.