In this episode of New Ideal Live, Onkar Ghate and Mike Mazza discuss the distinction between mob action and legitimate moral judgment, in the context of today’s “cancel culture.”
Among the topics covered:
- What is “cancel culture,” and how wide-ranging is it?
- The mob mentality behind certain “cancellations”;
- How to tell whether “cancellations” are motivated by justice;
- Whether conceptualizing “cancel culture” as an unjustifiable tactic is appropriate;
- The religious mentality behind “cancel culture”;
- Whether boycotts differ from “cancel culture”;
- Whether “cancel culture” has affected the Objectivist community;
- How concern for the marginalized is used to rationalize injustice.
Mentioned in the discussion was Ayn Rand’s essay “How Does One Lead a Rational Life in an Irrational Society?”
This podcast was recorded on March 24, 2021. Listen to the discussion below. Listen and subscribe from your mobile device on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify or Stitcher. Watch archived podcasts here.