On the second installment of New Ideal Live’s three-part analysis of the Biden administration agenda, Ben Bayer Onkar Ghate discuss, from a philosophical perspective, the proposed health care policies of the upcoming administration.
Among the topics covered:
- Why the health care industry’s importance is a reason to keep it free from regulation;
- Why Biden’s “public option” plan is not a form of freedom, and why it crowds out private enterprises;
- Why the idea of the “right to health care,” which motivates government intervention in health care, misinterprets the concept of “rights”;
- How policies implementing the “right to health care” demonize health care workers and treat them as slaves;
- The new restrictions that Biden policies will place on health care producers;
- Why socialized medicine is not the panacea some think it is.
Mentioned in the discussion are Ayn Rand’s “The Forgotten Man of Socialized Medicine” in For the New Intellectual, and Leonard Peikoff’s essay “Health Care Is Not a Right.” This podcast was recorded on December 22, 2020.