In this special episode of New Ideal Live, Elan Journo and Aaron Smith analyze the philosophic issues behind the intensifying conflict between Hamas and Israel.
Among the topics covered:
- The facts about the escalating conflict between Israel and Hamas;
- Whether previous incidents in Israel justify the Hamas attack;
- How to morally judge which side of this conflict is essentially correct;
- Why this conflict is between Israel and Hamas, not between Jews and Muslims;
- How the principle of individual rights is the standard to judge the difference between these regimes;
- Why Israel should not back down simply because it’s militarily stronger than Hamas;
- The likely outcome of the present conflict.
Mentioned in the discussion are Elan Journo’s book What Justice Demands: America and the Israeli-Palestinian Conflict and his recent article “Stop Ignoring Justice in the Israel-Hamas War.”
This podcast was recorded on May 14, 2021. Listen to the discussion below. Listen and subscribe from your mobile device on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify or Stitcher. Watch archived podcasts here.