In this episode of New Ideal Live, ARI philosophers Onkar Ghate and Aaron Smith discuss Ayn Rand’s views on mass protests in the context of the recent protests and violence following the killing of George Floyd and others.
Some of the topics covered:
- How are the rights to free speech and peaceable assembly properly exercised?
- Is it ever appropriate to block public thoroughfares to make oneself heard?
- Can violence and looting be treated as “symbolic speech“?
- How can even peaceful acts of assembly initiate force on others?
- What are alternatives to mass protests in the streets?
Mentioned in the podcast is Ayn Rand’s essay “The Cashing-In: The Student ‘Rebellion’” in Return of the Primitive.
This podcast was recorded on June 17, 2020. Watch or listen to the discussion below. Listen and subscribe from your mobile device on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify or Stitcher. Watch archived web episodes here.