In this episode of New Ideal Live, Ben Bayer, Agustina Vergara Cid and Don Watkins discuss their initial reactions to the Supreme Court’s decision in Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health, which overturns Roe v. Wade and lays the groundwork for states to restrict or ban abortion. They outline what ARI has done and plans to do to promote Ayn Rand’s defense of abortion rights.
Among the topics covered:
- Why ARI has been a vocal defender of abortion rights; [0:28]
- The panelists’ initial reactions to the Dobbs v. Jackson decision; [1:59]
- Responses to Vergara Cid’s recent column defending abortion; [9:31]
- Why Roe v. Wade and the political Left have failed to defend abortion rights; [12:17]
- What ARI has done recently and plans to do to advance the case for abortion rights; [16:57]
- The importance of keeping in mind the lives of actual women when thinking about abortion. [23:22]
Mentioned in this podcast are Bayer’s book Why the Right to Abortion Is Sacrosanct and Vergara Cid’s column “The Pursuit of Happiness Includes the Right to Abortion.”
The podcast was recorded on June 24, 2022. Listen to the discussion below. Listen and subscribe from your mobile device on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify or Stitcher. Watch archived podcasts here.