In this episode of New Ideal Live, Sam Weaver and Mike Mazza discuss a recent paper, “In Defense of Science,” which examines the increasing intrusion of “Critical Social Justice Epistemology” on scientific institutions. They explore issues such as this movement’s assault on objectivity and knowledge, how scientists are pressured into conformity, and why most defenders of science fail to articulate a well-founded understanding of the scientific method.
Among the topics covered:
- The recent controversy over the influence of “Critical Social Justice” in science;
- The claims of the “Critical Social Justice” advocates;
- How the controversy is muddled by the failure to distinguish the scientific method from the scientific institutions which aim to practice it;
- Why so-called Diversity Statements vitiate the quality of scientific research;
- Why scientists’ failure to understand their own method makes them vulnerable to bad ideas;
- How a vague view of merit hinders a proper defense of science;
- The need for a philosophical foundation for science.
The podcast was recorded on June 13, 2023. Listen to the discussion below. Listen and subscribe from your mobile device on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify or Stitcher. Watch archived podcasts here.