In this episode of New Ideal Live, Ben Bayer and Elan Journo discuss the new push for socialism in America, and the ideas that motivate today’s socialist politicians and intellectuals.
Among the topics covered:
- What socialism really is, and why it causes destruction and oppression;
- Why “democratic socialism” is a euphemism that trades on confusion about “democracy”;
- How socialism is motivated by deeper moral premises — and their alternatives;
- Why most opponents of socialism in America are ineffective;
- Whether Scandinavian countries are exemplars of socialist success.
Mentioned in the discussion are Ayn Rand’s talk “Faith and Force: The Destroyers of the Modern World,”the Ayn Rand Lexicon entry on “Socialism,” Ben Bayer’s articles “Meet the New Socialism, Same as the Old” and “The Dishonesty of ‘Real Socialism Has Never Been Tried,’” and Elan Journo’s “The Berlin Wall and the Evil of Socialism.”
This podcast was recorded on September 30, 2020. Watch or listen to the discussion below. Listen and subscribe from your mobile device on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify or Stitcher. Watch archived podcasts here.