In this episode of New Ideal Live, Elan Journo and Keith Lockitch discuss what’s wrong with the push from the “national conservatism” movement to restore what it takes to be traditional American values.
Among the topics covered:
- What conservatism is, and what Ayn Rand thought about it;
- What the “national conservatism” movement stands for today;
- The movement’s major concerns, especially regarding free trade and immigration;
- How their elevation of the value of ethnic heritage negates individualism and freedom;
- The anti-reason, anti-Enlightenment mentality of intellectuals in this movement.
Mentioned in the discussion are the entries “conservatives” and “collectivism” in the Ayn Rand Lexicon, Ayn Rand’s essay “Conservatism: An Obituary,” and Elan Journo’s essay “The Vice of Nationalism.”
This podcast was recorded on October 21, 2020. Watch or listen to the discussion below. Listen and subscribe from your mobile device on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify or Stitcher. Watch archived podcasts here.